Apollo Gleneagles Cancer Hospital, Kolkata
World class cancer treatment gets a new destination at Apollo Gleneagles Cancer Hospital,(AGCH), Kolkata. With multidisciplinary approach, latest technologies and best expertise, this 100-bedded unit including 50 bedded surgical unit in the main hospital is geared up to be ultimate destination of cancer care in Eastern India.
Apollo Gleneagles Cancer Hospital introduces Novalis Tx with BrainLAB, the revolutionary technology in Radiation Therapy (RT), which comes with the advantage of maximizing tumor destruction while minimizing damage to normal tissues.
Facilities offered under one roof:
- IGRT THERAPY – First time in Eastern India
- IMRT THERAPY
- Comprehensive Brachytherapy by image 4D-CRT - First time in Eastern India
- Knifeless Surgery of Brain by Radiosurgery, first time in Eastern India
- Focussed care…Bone Marrow Transplant Unit, Leukemia unit, Paediatric cancer unit, Women’s cancer unit etc
- Integrated service of radiation, medical & surgical oncology
- Complete range of diagnostics including 64 slice CT and Dual Head SPECT Gamma Camera
- CLINAC iX– The second Linear Accelerator in the Cancer Hospital
As one of the most advanced cancer treatment options available, Novalis Tx radiosurgery & radiotherapy is changing the face of cancer treatment, and has already helped thousands of people continue to go to work, spend time with family and friends and take part in their favourite activities, while fighting cancer.
- Shapes the cancer-fighting beam around the tumor or lesion, ensuring that the maximum prescribed dose of high energy radiation is delivered to the entire tumor or lesion
- Protects surrounding healthy tissue
- Adapts treatment to the patients breathing and other body movements so that radiation delivery is always safe, complete and accurate
- Rapid Arc Technique delivers treatment within 2-3 minutes with dynamic collimator and gantry movement
- Reduces the likelihood of body or tumor movements, ensuring that treatment is delivered with the highest possible accuracy
- Personalized – Offers one time treatment or a series of treatments based on the doctor’s recommendation
- Delivers one of the highest dose rates to treat tumors deep inside the body or brains
- Alternative to surgery – Offers hope to those with conditions once considered untreatable and for whom surgery is not an option
- Frameless radiosurgery & radiotherapy offers a more comfortable and non-invasive alternative to other radiosurgery & radiotherapy systems which require immobilization with a head ring that attaches to the skull
How Novalis Tx Radiosurgery & Radiotherapy Works:
Novalis Tx radiosurgery & radiotherapy consists of a high-tech radiation delivery system and a set of sophisticated image guidance and motion management tools. This state-of-the-art system rotates around the patient’s body to deliver treatment beams anywhere in the body from virtually any angle. The image-guidance and motion management tools provide the treating doctors with detailed information about the shape, size and position of the tumor, guide setup and positioning, and monitor your body and tumor motion during treatment.
It involves the use of chemicals to kill the cancerous cells. They can be administered both in the pill and injection form. Usually malignancy of each organ has a specific treatment protocol.
At Apollo Gleneagles Cancer Hospital, administering chemotherapy is not a stand-alone affair. Treatment of cancer is often multi-pronged and different modes of therapy need to be instituted at different frames of time for best outcome.
Once chemotherapy dose and protocol is decided for a patient, the oncologist explains the plan to the family and the scheduling of chemotherapy is decided. The nurses are specially trained to administer chemotherapy and take every step to make the patients comfortable.
AGCH hospital has the unique facility of Day Care Chemotherapy where the patients walk in for chemotherapy, take the prescribed chemotherapy dose and walk out, carrying on with their daily activities. There is no hospital stay, expense is less, and it is more convenient. The daycare ward is equipped with all the necessary monitoring systems, dedicated nurses and doctors to ensure the safety and effectiveness of the process
MEDICAL ONCOLOGY TEAM :
- Dr S H ADWANI
MD, FICP, FNAMS
- Dr CHANCHAL GOSWAMI
- Dr PRABRAJYA NARAYAN MOHAPATRA
MD,DM (Medical Oncology)
- Dr MADHUCHANDA KAR
MD (Cal), PhD (Cal)
- Dr PRASENJIT CHATTERJEE
- Dr SHIBASHISH BHATTACHARYA
MD, DM (MEDICAL ONCOLOGY)
- Dr SOUMYA BHATTACHARYA
MD (MED), MRCP(UK), MRCPath(UK), FRCPath(UK), CCST-Haematology (UK)
- DR. SIDDARTHA SANKAR RAY
DNB, MD, DM (HAEMATOLOGY)
- Dr ARPITA BHATTACHARYYA
DCH, MRCP (UK)
Beams of high energy beams are directed toward the cancerous tumor to damage the DNA of cancerous cells, thus arresting its growth and shrinking it. It is usually used either individually or as an adjunct to other therapies.
Apollo Gleneagles Cancer Hospital introduces Novalis Tx, the revolutionary technology in Radiation Therapy (RT), which comes with the advantage of maximizing tumor destruction while minimizing damage to normal tissues.
The Novalis Tx Advantage
- One machine for all needs
The Novalis Tx is suitable for the treatment of tumors of all type, size and locations.
- IMRT and IGRT- making radiation effective and safe
- Intensity-modulated Radiotherapy-(IMRT)-It offers computer-controlled highly penetrative, focused and precise dose of radiation by modulating the intensity with the help of high-definition multi-leaf collimator to deliver high-dose radiation to the tumor area while providing maximum protection to the healthy tissues.
- Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)-Real-time tumor tracking during treatment, which makes it more confirmative .It also allows treatment adaptation as per changing patient requirements.
- Stereotactic Radio surgery and Radiotherapy - Knifeless Surgery
Tracking tumor in six dimensions allows most precise location of even the smallest of tumors and those close to the delicate organs for the delivery of single high dose radiation to destroy the tumor once and for all. A non-invasive and curative treatment, it can be used for a wide range of benign and malignant tumors, particularly those which are difficult to operate. The same technology is used for radiotherapy when the tumor is bigger in size.
- RapidArc Technology – making the treatment fast and comfortable
The RapidArc technology makes it possible to deliver IMRT and IGRT in very short time, and enhances patient safety and comfort.
- Cone-Beam CT Scan for ongoing treatment adaptation –leaves no room for errors
The Novalis has an in-built CT scan machine of latest make with Electronic Portal Imaging Device(EPID) to obtain high-resolution CT images before, during and after the treatment. Known as ExactTrack, this allows the real-time execution of the treatment plan, leaving no room for errors.
Besides Novalis Tx, AGCH is equipped with another High-Energy (CLINAC iX) Linear Accelerator and High Dose Rate Brachytherapy facilities.
RADIATION ONCOLOGY TEAM :
Lt. Gen. (Retd.) DR. SAIBAL MUKHERJEE - DIRECTOR OF ONCOLOGY
MD (Radiodiagnosis) & MD (Radiotherapy)
Dr ARUNDHATI CHAKRABORTY
MD, PG DIPLOMA IN PALLIATIVE MEDICINE
Dr LITAN NAHA BISWAS
Dr AKHTER JAWADE
Dr SUCHANDA GOSWAMI
Some cancers are painless in the initial stages. But a large number of patients particularly those with advanced cancer suffer from excruciating pain, that significantly affects their day to day life causing intense physical and mental agony. We offer a number of pain management methods, strontium therapy, nerve blocking, pain pumps to help patients ease their pain.
We believe in providing a quality life to all our patients. When cancer is advanced or the patient is too aged or weak to receive benefit from the therapy, there are a number of palliative therapies to provide relief and comfort. Airway stenting for bronchogenic tumors, draining of the pleura, minimally invasive therapies for gynecological cancers offer a great help to the patients.
Regular Monitoring by Oncology Team
Each patient is followed up meticulously by the Oncology Team and the response to therapies is carefully noted.
Nutrition and rehabilitation plays an active role in enabling the patients to maintain a good quality of life. Specially trained Dieticians work synchronously with the doctors and patient family to provide optimum nutrition. Physiotherapists and Occupational Therapists and Counselors help patients maintain as normal life as possible.
Patient Education & Support
Patient education is of vital impotence for any chronic illness. We encourage the patient and their carers to learn as much as possible so that they can play active role in the effective management. It is imperative for the patients and the carers to understand the condition and learn about some treatment procedures which may be done at home. Depending on the requirement of the patient, they are instructed on care of implanted devices (if any), management of oxygen, understanding and alleviating symptoms, daily medication management, and nutrition maintenance. Cancer as a disease takes a huge toll not only on the patient but also the entire family. We understand that the disease has to be fought physically and emotionally as well. We offer support services to the patients and families, where doubts are cleared, concerns are heard and fears are addressed by caring and compassionate individuals and together, a journey is made towards better days.
Apollo Gleneagles Cancer Hospital
58, Canal Circular Road
Kolkata - 700 054
Phone : 033 - 60601066
Fax : 033 - 2320 5218