Surgery is the main modality of treatment of early cancers.
Contrary to the common believe, operation on cancerous lesions including biopsies doesn’t cause spread of malignancy. The timing & technique of the surgery is the utmost importance.
Key features of surgical oncology at AcC:
- Surgeries on all types of cancer including Commando surgery for the head & neck cancer, Whipple’s Surgery for pancreatic cancer, major colorectal surgeries, liver resection surgeries, conservative breast surgeries along with Sentinel Lymph Node biopsies etc, are performed with high success rate.
- Bloodless surgeries are performed with latest bleeding control techniques like- CUSA, Ligasure, TissueLink & Electrocautery. This make surgery safer with better outcome.
- Organ preservation surgeries make it possible to preserve organs like- breast, larynx etc.
- Normal physiological functions are preserved as much as possible.
ROBOTIC CANCER SURGERY
The Apollo Institutes of Robotic Surgery are committed to providing patients with an exceptional experience using cutting edge treatment options.
Our state-of-the-art operating theatres are equipped with the da Vinci Si surgical system, the most advanced platform for minimally invasive surgery available today. The four armed surgical robotic system is a breakthrough in surgical technology and is offered across the following specialties:
How is Robotic surgery performed?
Robot-assisted surgery integrates advanced computer technology with the experience of skilled surgeons. This technology provides the surgeon with a 10x magnified, high definition, 3D-image of the body’s intricate anatomy. The controls in the console allow the surgeon to manipulate special surgical instruments that are smaller, as well as more flexible and manoeuvrable than the human hand. The surgeon is thus in complete control of the surgical procedure. The robot helps replicate the surgeon’s hand movements, while minimizing hand tremors. The surgery is thus operated with enhanced precision, dexterity and control even during the most complex procedures.
Why Robotics for Cancer?
Robot-assisted surgery when indicated for cancer patients offers various unique advantages.
The enhanced precision and control offered by the da Vinci system allows surgeons to perform delicate procedures like prostate surgery while preserving the nerve fibres and blood vessels attached to the gland.
The enhanced vision of the surgical field offers surgeons the ability to clearly differentiate between tissue planes and effect precise tumour removal.
The ability of the da Vinci system to scale the surgeon’s movement allows for better cancer clearance while preserving healthy tissue.
Robotic surgery can also benefit patients needing treatment for kidney, cervical, uterine and ovarian cancer.
Patients with colo-rectal cancers can look forward to a quicker return to normal bowel functions and diet following a robot-assisted procedure.
Advantages of Robot-Assisted Surgery:
- Micro-Precision Surgery
- Better Cancer Control
- Less Damage to Healthy Tissue
- Reduced Risk of Wound Infection
- Minimal Blood Loss during Surgery
- Faster Return to Urinary Continence
- Faster Return of Sexual Function
- Quicker Return to Bowel Movement
- Reduced Hospital Stay
- Faster Recovery
- Less Pain
- Less Visible Scars